Sunday, 17 July 2016

Do Heroin Addicts Not Care About Their Families?

Do Heroin Addicts Not Care About Their Families?
It is a question I am asked a lot so I will try and explain.
I am a former user - Heroin addict and it wasn't that I didn't care about my family; I stayed away from them because heroin thrusts people in to a crazy environment and I did not want my family involved in the mess I was creating. 
I left my partner and son and went on a drug bender with friends. Hang on a moment; did I just call them friends? Heroin addicts don't have friends, they have runners and runners are fellow junkies who will use you as you use them - all for a high! 
Do heroin addicts not care about their families? Yes, but families aren't their priority - heroin is! The first thing you think about when you open your eyes of a morning is heroin. For the rest of your day you think about your next hit and the one after that. Before you go to sleep you think about how and when you are going to get your fix in the morning and every day is exactly the same. Being addicted to heroin is the pits but you carry on and carry on using regardless of hurting those who love you. Your focus is your next hit - not how your missus or children are - it is heroin and more heroin all the way, every day, all week, month and year - if you are lucky enough to survive the train wreck.
You will hear people saying, "don't take it personally if your loved-one (heroin addict) disappears and doesn't come home for weeks or months - the truth is, the person you once knew has gone - he/she is programmed and programmed only to focus on a tenner bag and how many they can score. 
Do heroin addicts not care about their families? Yes, but not in the way that you and I do. 
Thank you Prison Widow UK for allowing me the time to contribute.
From an ex-heroin addict.