Children Are Victims Of Crime Too - By S

Some people may say that the only victims of crime are the victims themselves. I disagree. I don't mean to sound harsh and I too have been a victim of crime myself. But I also have a partner in prison at the moment and we have a 5 year old daughter together. I understand why my partner is in prison and he deserves to be. However, my daughter knows he's in prison, but doesn't understand why. How can parents of a child affected by parental imprisonment go in to depth and detail to a small child and explain what their mum or dad's have done? When someone commits a crime, he/she leaves devastated victims. They also leave other victims behind too, something the general public to fail to see or understand in many cases. My daughter suffers with autism. So how do I, as a parent, explain to her that her dad robbed a store and put a gun to someone's head? I don't get any help, because most people turn around and say, " well he shouldn't have done it." Well we all know that, but did my 5 year old daughter ask him to go out and do it? Before I sign off, I would also like to say that I agree with the poster about penal reformers going in to schools. Most of their talks are about prison and crime. Maybe there should be more talks to school kids about the forgotten victims, and how committing crime doesn't just affect the victims, but rips the families of the offender apart in the process too!