Prison Widow - October's Inside Time Column

Prison Widow October Issue

I clearly remember the first time I had to face everyone when my partner was sentenced. He was convicted for armed robbery. My grandma called it, arm robbery, and couldn’t understand why someone would steal a prosthetic limb. My other half had gone way down in her estimations and I had to decide whether or not it was worth five hours trying to explain the whole situation to her. I decided it was worth the hassle because the last thing I needed was a congregation of people within my community getting the wrong end of the stick. Let us also not forget that someone somewhere would have thrown the usual jibes at me, “What did the judge HAND down to him?” Or “It would have been HANDY if he had a few witnesses!” Don’t get me wrong, I’d have stood my ground and probably would have stuck two fingers up at them. But my response from others would have been, “You’re lucky you’ve got two fingers! The victim wouldn’t have been able to do that!” You see, this is what happens when you have a convicted loved one. You are the innocent standby, but in the eyes of the public, they see it as, guilt by association. It’s a headache to say the least!

Click HERE and read the rest of PW's story!