Thanking Our Lucky Stars - By Angie

Hi PFV. I've been reading your blog for some time now and thought I would write in. I read the post about a little boy who wants his Dad home for Christmas. Christmas is particular tough for families with a loved one in prison. Especially for children with a parent in prison. As adults, we muster through and make sure our children smile on Christmas Day. My daughter is 9 and her Dad has been in prison since she was 5 years old. Money is tight for many of us right now, but I always buy her a present from her Dad and make a big deal of it. It's not an expensive gift, but to see her huge smile makes my day. me and my partner also discuss what to buy her which makes him feel involved even if in a small way. Christmas is what we make it. It's for the children and as long as they are happy, I'm happy. I take loads of photo's and send them to her Dad and he writes her a special letter to open on Christmas Day. It can be an emotional occasion. But how many children won't get a letter off their Dad's this year ( armed forces and 911 etc ) ? There will be plenty, so let us thank our lucky stars in that respect.