Reassuring Our Elders - By WOP


I am really pleased that a family member has emailed the blog raising awareness about elderly prison visitors. My partners Mum is 77 and she struggles every time she visits her son. She doesn't understand the visits procedure and doesn't understand anything her son tells her about parole and probation etc, so the visits can be a bit strained to say the least. I struggled understanding the prison jargon when my partner first went inside so imagine how an elderly relative feels! She is also frightened when she has to be searched but as luck as it, the prison officers are really pleasant and try to make her feel at ease which I am thankful for. I think the only thing we can do is support our elders in this situation all we can and try and reassure them that their son's/daughters are OK and that we will always be there for them. Thanks again for raising this topic.