What Happens In The Free World? - From Elenor


                                                     NO JOBS FOR EX OFFENDERS 

Dear Blog Editor, In reply to Jess's post ( featured above ) I would like to say that I fully agree with her.
My husband was released from prison in October 2012 and ever since I have been looking for some support for the both of us. Every time I have searched online, most of the support networks concentrate on families who have a relative in prison and not the prison release issues, therefore I am glad I stumbled upon your site. I also realise that me and my husband are not on our own when it comes to resettlement and finding work. Not to be rude or anything, but I am very surprised that there isn't much going on for families who have their loved ones home because this is the hardest part in my opinion.
My husband was jailed for 12 years and is now on licence. The Prison staff were brilliant and really helped him a lot but once your head enters the real world, it is a uphill struggle and one of those struggles is finding a job. My husband got knocked back by lots of companies because the applications were in their 100's and that was just for a factory job which just goes to show how many people are desperate to earn a living. He decided to sign on with an agency and over the Xmas period he had lots of work. But now that the Xmas work has dried up, he is left on the shelf again posting his CV's off to everyone and anyone.
Probation have given him/us no support as a family and I think it is disgraceful when people preach that maintaining family ties is important when a loved one goes to prison but after that what is there? What happens after a successful prison relationship? Eventually reality sets in and it really is hard going. I would like some opinions from other readers if they would kindly reply to my concerns. Best Wishes from Elenor.