The Prisoners BBC Documentary - By Ex Prisoners Wife


My husband has been in and out of prison since he was 14 years of age. He is now 45. I met him 10 years ago and we have a young son. His criminal career started when he was 13 and was put in to care. Along the way he met more criminals and trained criminals. After time in care, he went in to young offenders institutes and then on to the big boys prison. He served time when prison was porridge and slopping out and has seen many changes. He also said that if some of these youths had to slop out in the Strangeways days, they would never go back inside. My husband has been out of prison now for 2 years and he's doing alright. I watched the documentary of BBC 1 and I thought it was pretty good. I doubt the hang em flog em brigade would see as far as their noses and not much sympathy, if any, would be add, but it showed how difficult the outside can be for those who are institutionalised. Obviously the BBC have made the documentary to boost viewers and lets face it, anything prison will draw viewers because it is a very interesting topic. Even those who turn their noses up at criminals can't keep away from the topic and are glued to the screens! As a wife of an ex prisoner, I can only keep my fingers crossed and hope that my husband will stay on the right track and leave his past behind. Only time will tell.