Alzheimer's In Prison - From A PFV Reader


Hi. Please can you keep my name and details confidential. My Dad is in prison for fraud and he has just been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. I have read a number of posts on your website about prisoners families suffering with dementia and would like to share with you all my story if that's OK. I am overly worried that the prison in question do not have the experienced staff to care for my Dad. With Alzheimer's, those suffering from it can decline very quickly and patients with this illness need interaction and stimulation. I am a trainee nurse and I have visited my Dad in prison and to say I am worried is an understatement. It is true that people are developing this illness at a more younger age and this illness does not only apply to the elderly. My Dad is confused and at times disorientated. What I would like to know is are the prison officers also trained to deal with illnesses as such? I would like to research further in to this and any comments from your readers would be extremely welcomed. Thank you in advance. Anonymous.

                                                    PLEASE CONTACT PFV