Getting on the right path - From B - Ex Offender


Dear Prisoners Families Voices. I found your site through Inside Time  and have recently been released from prison. I was addicted to Heroin and I worked the streets to fund my drug habit. I was sent to prison for theft but would rather not go in to any further detail as I am ashamed of what I did. I am now clean and I am trying to sort my life out. I am having so much trouble and bad luck trying to find a job. I live in a small close knit community and everyone knows about my past. I have applied for jobs at local factories and have always been shown the door because everyone knows of me. I left school with a long list of qualifications and did very well at college. I screwed up when my boyfriend was killed in a car accident. I began drinking and fell in with a group of people who took drugs. I started taking them too the fool I was. There is no excuse for my actions and I don't need anyone preaching to me about it. But trying to get someone, or anyone, to give me a chance is almost impossible at the moment. Everyone sees me as the druggie and the prostitute and they refuse to let me forget it. Staying clean in prison is tough because I don't need to remind everyone that there is more shit flying around in those places than there is out here in the free world. But I stayed clean because I was determined to start afresh. My Mum has been a rock and supports me endlessly. But I just need that chance and trying to find it out here is like finding a needle in a haystack. I don't want any of your blog followers to feel sorry for me, I'm not writing this for that reason at all. I am writing this because I want to tell people how hard it actually is when you are released from prison wanting to start again. I intend to start again on the right path, but people are still making me walk on the road. I will soldier on with hope that if I continue to prove myself, someone will eventually let me walk on the same path as them. Thank you for listening to me. Yours Sincerely, B.

PFV COMMENT. WE HAVE ASKED THE WRITER TO STAY IN TOUCH AND HAVE SENT HER A LIST OF HELPFUL ORGANISATIONS. GOOD LUCK B.