Prison and Mental Health Issues - From Anonymous


Dear Editor. I have been reading your site and the posts about youth offenders. My son is in a secure unit due to mental health issues. Before that, he was in a young offenders institute and before that he was passed from pillar to post via probation, other agencies and the courts because no one had a clue what to do with him. It was as though the system didn't have the slightest clue how to deal with someone with mental health problems, which he has and has suffered with since the age of 10. I won't go in to the whys and what's but to cut a long story short, I knew he had mental health problems but actually finding support and someone to talk to about my son's behaviour was like finding a needle in a haystack. After all we have been through and my son being shipped out to young offenders institutes all over the UK, the system has FINALLY decided that he needs professional help. But the time it has taken them to pull their fingers out and finally realise that my son is ill is disgusting. I wonder how many other families have to go through this? The stress out family has been through is unbelievable. The Government claim there is help out here for these sort of issues but I can tell you now that there is not. Someone with mental health problems is bounced from pillar to post until finally they admit that there IS a problem!!!! I would like to remain anonymous and I give you permission to post my email. Thanks all.