Ex-Convict Donates Kidney To 'Make New Start'


A woman has received a kidney transplant from a former convict after a desperate appeal in a local newspaper. Sally-Ann Grainger, 34, featured in an article asking for a donor to come forward in January. She went into renal failure after taking medication following a double lung transplant in 2009. Ms Grainger had to have dialysis treatment three times a week and described herself as "barely existing". Even though she was a complete stranger, 33-year-old Wesley Joyce, who spent time in jail for assault, donated his kidney in order to "make a new start". He was one of 10 people to come forward, but the only one who was a tissue and blood match. "This was the perfect opportunity for me to give something back, as long as I matched," Mr Joyce told Sky News. "It wasn't good enough that I said I'd do it, I needed to actually do this."I said to Sally's daughter that I thank her mum for giving me the opportunity to do this."