No Incentive - By 'Katie'

Hello. I understand where the ex-offenders views are coming from.
I am a female and I am also an ex prisoner. I was in prison with one girl who is now out and was added on Facebook by her. A large thread started and it was like a prison reunion. Because of data protection I can't copy the thread, but only a minority said that they would never go back inside. From an outsider (non ex offender) looking in, the comments would have been outrageous. One girl said she missed everyone in New Hall! 
It was my first time in prison and although I hated every minute of it, I got through it and met some good people who looked out for me. In all honesty it was very doable and not a shock to the system as I thought it would be.
I am interested in how the new prison reform is going to pan out. 
As for rehabilitation, I agree that there is very little on offer but the first port of call is to rehabilitate yourself! You have to want to make changes to your life. No one is going to wave a magic wand allowing you to live a normal life. 
I live on a large estate and I would say that every other house and those living in the households are using drugs whether it be weed or the hard stuff. 
The kids are living like their parents and their parents are drug users and unemployed. Much of a case of, monkey see, monkey do. 
Another girl I met in prison, her Mother had been released from the same nick 12 months previously. 
Society is screwed. It is a screwed up mess and the Government are giving no one the incentive to work and make something of themselves. 
I work full time and my wage is around 1,000 a month. My friend gets the same but she is on benefits. If I lost my job tomorrow, I would be around £18.00 per week worse off, but I would get housing and council tax benefit which would level it out, so technically I would be better off sat on my arse at home all day. This is the depression and mind set the Government have put people in. 
I started using drugs when I was 25. I sold my soul for a tenner bag of gear and prison was my wake-up call. I became clean and my mind unscrambled all the emotions and feelings that heroin wiped away when I was using it. I haven't looked back but every day I am in recovery and will remain so for the rest of my life. 
As I said before, I live on an estate that is rife with drugs so temptation is there every day. 
What the prison system and probation need to understand is, when someone is released from prison, they are released back in to a society that functions off drugs.