The easy way out - from Jo

Hi. I read the post featured on your blog called - when it is time to say enough is enough. 
My partner of 8 years walked away from me and our 2 children last year. He preferred shooting heroin rather than being a partner and a Dad.
He is now with a new woman (the best of British to her) and as far as I know, he is still a junkie.
Like the person who wrote the post; I was forever visiting my ex in prison and looking back now; I was never happy. I was codependent and he was my drug because I was addicted to trying to change him and be it a hard lesson learnt, it took me some time to get my head around the fact that you cannot cure an heroin addict - it is down to them. 
Every time my ex went to prison, it would be the same old lies and bull-sh*t with me opening jail mail reading the blag lines, 'I promise I won't touch the stuff again' - and every time I believed him! Every time he relapsed, he blamed it on me saying I was nagging him or getting on his case. So every time things weren't going his way, he'd walk to a drugs hub and shoot heroin because it was the easy way out. Then he'd land in prison and the cycle repeated itself. It was draining and it made me ill with stress.
One day last year I lost it. I finally asked him to leave and he walked out. It was game over. 
I am now focusing on my own recovery and the best gift he gave me was walking away. I have peace, no dramas and no prison! 
I have had my ups and downs but I am recovering nicely and my children are my rock and reason to move on to better and brighter things.
Don't let heroin suck you in and don't get sucked in by someone who abuses it.