Thursday, 6 April 2017

I want to be a better person, not a better drug addict.

Dear Prison Widow. I don't want my real name disclosing. I would like to share my personal story with your readers. I am 34, and my court date is next week. I am up on a theft charge and will be going to prison - again. 
I am addicted to heroin and Valium and commit crime to fund my addiction. I have had enough of living under the influence of drugs but prison won't do me any good. I know that because I will be offered drugs as soon as I step foot inside there. I can't even tell you what I have put my family through and they still stand by me which is a miracle. I have been to prison once before and was released the same as I was before I was convicted. I want to be a better person in jail, not a better drug addict. I want to do things in my life and be a better dad to my daughter who I haven't seen in 18 months because of the situation I'm in. I don't blame her Mother, it is best my daughter doesn't see me whilst I am doing drugs. Kids shouldn't be around all that, it's no good. I hate being the person I am and want to get back to the person I once was. I know there's only me who can do it but if they bang me up with another user who doesn't want to stop using then I am up against it. People who think heroin addicts can just stop are very naive. That stuff is ruthless and completely changes the chemical balance in your brain. There isn't a quick fix but there isn't rehabilitation in prison for it either. WIsh me luck, I'm going to need it! ANON