My son followed my footsteps to prison

Dear Prison Widow UK. I am an ex-prisoner and ex-offender. My 28 year old son is now in prison.
The very last thing I wanted for my son was to follow in my dark footsteps but it happened. Most of his childhood was spent visiting me in prison and it shouldn't have been that way. He grew up thinking it was the 'norm' and prison is far from being the 'norm.' When I served my time, there was no rehabilitation. The courts and the criminal justice system convinced themselves there was but it is far away from the truth. I never experienced normality so for me, being in prison and having my son visiting me became the norm for me too. Prisoners and their families become stuck in a cycle. Families feel obliged to visit and prisoners expect them too. I am only going off my personal experiences by the way. Maintaining contact with your family I agree is important. On the other hand, when does visiting your loved one in prison become monotonous and unfair? I make a point of saying this because I repeatedly offended and my family only got off the merry-go-round for a few months before I was back inside again. I am now on the other side of the fence doing exactly the same visiting my son and spending money I can ill afford. I now know and fully understand what my family went through when I made the choices I did and yet my family always without fail stood by me. Eventually I grew up and changed my lifestyle but my choices and going to prison courtesy of those choices left my loved ones with little choices also. They served prison sentences alongside me in many ways. They gave up their weekends to visit me when they could have been enjoying themselves at the seaside and doing things that normal families do. But they didn't, they put me first and yet I never returned the favour. I have myself a full time job and I now give up my weekends to visit my son in prison because I owe it him. The problem I have with prison reform is that no one appears to suggest what areas they wish to reform. Society is probably the worst I have seen it and on my street alone, four families either have a partner or son/daughter in prison. There doesn't seem to be as much stigma as their once was about a loved one serving time in prison, but prison should not be the 'norm' because it isn't. I hope I haven't rambled too much. Kindest regards, Mr Jackson.